Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Things I Like/Dislike about Romance

For future Top Ten Tuesday topics & info on how to participate, click here!
 
This week's topics: Top Ten Things I Like/Dislike When It Comes To Romances In Books
 
 DISLIKES
1. Instant love stories: Some authors do this very well. Most don't. There is just nothing truly believable to me about love at first sight. Sure, you can instantly fall in love with someone, but you still have to take time to build a relationship!
 
2. Controlling hero/heroine: There is nothing AT ALL romantic about being controlled or manipulated. Which brings me to my #3...
 
3. Hero/Heroine with NO back bone: Come on, stand up for yourself every now and then. There is no need to let your significant other tromp all over you all the time.

4. "Steamy" romances: Let's face it. It's not real life. I feel like reading them sets unrealistic expectations on your spouse and if he/she doesn't read, then they don't even know it! Also, there is more to love than physical attraction.
 
5. Rushed/Forced Romances: This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I do not like it when the romance seems forced or rushed.  Don't put romance where there is none. Period.

LIKES
6. Friends turned "lovers": (I don't mean lovers in the physical sense). I love it when the hero and heroine start out as friends. It always provides for an interesting story and deep love.

7. Second Chance Love: There is nothing more encouraging or special than a couple who blew it the first time, giving love another try and succeeding. 

8. Enemies turned "lovers": (ok, so maybe lovers isn't the best word, but you get my point!). The banter and sometimes friction between a hero and herione who are fighting their attraction for one another because they are supposed to be "enemies" is so exciting. I love it!

9. Comedic Romance: This is one of my favorite types of movies, so it stands to reason that "rom-coms" would be great books too! 

10. Christ-Centered Romance: I don't always read Christian Fiction, and I understand secular novels aren't going to have a "godly" romance, but I love reading a good romance where Christ is the center of their lives. In a secular book, I just look for a clean romance, where their feelings run deeper than their physical connection/attraction.

That's it for me. What about you?!

5 comments:

  1. I love Christ centered romance! It's is truly the best! I also dislike steamy romances, clan is always better. I also agree with your others as well!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love number 6, when two friends develop feelings for each other. And numbers 1 and 5 are my biggest pet peeves. Please, let it take TIME for the relationship to develop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ally, #5 (as I stated) is probably one of my biggest pet peeves in a romance novel. Don't force the characters to feel an attraction for the sake of the story. PLEASE. It just makes it worse!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Shannah, I haven't had time to do a Top Ten list in a few weeks, but I loved your thoughts and completely agree. The only other thing I hate is when they don't get together until the last page and then that's it, no epilogue or anything. So when an ending is satisfying, I really emphasize that in my reviews. Not that it does any good, though!

    ReplyDelete