Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Belize Mission Trip 2016 | Day 2

3/6/2016
It's Sunday! We were settling into Belize life and it was time to go to church. We attended a church in Belmopan called Bethel Church. The service was...interesting. The lesson was on grief. It was very informative, but lacking in spiritual depth. After church, Pastor Tim gathered us together to explain why the service "set off alarm bells," as he put it. This church has suffered recently. They have asked their pastor to step down for personal reasons. They were getting ready to lose their bus that brought the majority of their members to church (they didn't own the bus, but couldn't afford to buy it and keep up the repairs).

After learning that information, and letting it soak in, I realized how blessed I am to have an amazing church and pastor. I also admired the speaker who took the time to study for a lesson on a subject that
many people in Belize know little about. His bravery was inspiring. Please keep Bethel Church in your prayers as they seek God's guidance for their future.

After church, we ate lunch at Hode's Place. I love the authenticity of the food. It's amazing! On our way back home, we stopped at the Mayan Ruins in San Ignacio called Xunantunich (a.k.a. The Stone Lady). I climbed all the way to the top. The view was absolutely breathtaking! The ruins were in excellent condition (not that I'm an expert on Mayan ruins, but they looked good to me). I decided that Mayans must have been tall. The steps were very tall and narrow. The climb to the top was exhilarating. We had to cross a river to get to the ruins... I called it a "row boat on a cable wire." 
It was a great day to celebrate and admire God's handiwork. However, I had been in Belize for a day and a half and I was anxious to begin working!

No comments:

Post a Comment