Monday, August 26, 2013

Once Upon a Prince by Rachel Hauck

Hello again everyone! Wow, this weekend FLEW by! I did not get much reading done this weekend, but I made up for it last night and today. Our additional group read this month in the Christian Fiction Devourers Group was Once Upon a Prince by Rachel Hauck. Boy am I glad I decided to read this sweet story!

Overview: Susanna Truitt never dreamed of a great romance or being treated like a princess—just to marry the man she has loved for twelve years. But life isn’t going according to plan. When her high-school-sweetheart-turned-Marine-officer breaks up instead of proposing, Susanna scrambles to rebuild her life.

The last thing Prince Nathaniel expects to find on his American holiday to St. Simon’s Island is the queen of his heart. A prince has duties, and his family’s tense political situation has chosen his bride for him. When Prince Nathaniel comes to Susanna’s aid under the fabled Lover’s Oak, he is blindsided by love.

Their lives are worlds apart. He’s a royal prince. She’s a ordinary girl. But everything changes when Susanna receives an invitation to Nathaniel’s coronation.

It’s the ultimate choice. His kingdom or her heart? God’s will or their own?

My Review: This book is the first book in the Royal Weddings series. It's also the first book I've read by this author, so I went into it with a completely open mind. This book pleasently surprised me.

Susanna Truitt is a planner. She had her life mapped out from a very young age, and she was dedicated to the plan, that is until someone decided to veer her off course. Susanna is a character I can easily relate to. She is stubborn, down-to-earth, and loyal to a fault. I see myself a lot in Susanna and that made the parts of the story I didn't care for easier to handle. Nathaniel is also a very relatable character. His struggle to accept God's will for his life is very human and very real.

The romance was a little far-fetched in my mind, but it didn't detract from the story. Rachel manages the far-fetched by adding a dose of reality in each page of her story. Both characters struggles and fears are well thought out and nothing is left up in the air and the end of the story. The Christian element to the story makes sense because the characters are of a strong faith. I didn't mind that there was a heavy Christian overtone because it was done in a very good fashion. It wasn't preachy or "in your face" like some Christian novels tend to be. The message was subtly inserted in the characters thoughts, actions, and prayers. Who do you let control your life? Is it God?

Overall, I thought this was a very cute, enjoyable, quick read. I would recommend it to anyone who wants something sweet and easy. I will definitely look forward to reading the second book in the Royal Wedding series, Princess Ever After.

No comments:

Post a Comment