Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Dangerous Depths by Colleen Coble

Happy Tuesday everyone! I've finished another exciting book and just couldn't wait to share it with you! I know I've said this before, but I absolutely LOVE Colleen Coble's books. She is a phenomenal writer and I just cannot wait to get my hands on every book written by her!

Dangerous Depths (The Aloha Reef Series #3)Overview: Sometimes life's most precious treasure lies at Dangerous Depths.

Leia ditched a promising medical career to settle on a secluded island of Hawaii. She ditched Bane, too, and he's come to the island to find out why. He's also in search of a fortune rumored to lie offshore. But an act of sabotage that pushes Bane closer to Leia plunges them both into a tangle of emotion--just as a series of threatening events grip the island.

Theft, a friend's death, a bizarre intruder, hints of a second treasure...and even murder--how can they sort it all out when everyone on the island has something to hide?

The novels in Colleen Coble's popular Aloha Reef Series combine mystery and suspense with tender romance in an irresistible island setting.

My Review:  As always, Coble does an excellent job of combining the powers of mystery, suspense, and romance. However, I didn't feel as captured by this book as I have the previous three in the series. Don't get me wrong. There are a lot of things I liked about the book, but I just feel like something was missing. 

This book does address a couple hard issues that I haven't encountered in a book before. Leia, the female heroine, has a cleft lip. Her sister, Eva, has Downs Syndrome. Bane suffers from abandonment issues. I love that Coble writes her characters in a more human light. It's hard to relate to someone who's "perfect" on paper.

Overall, the message of the book was still very, very good. The message was one of learning to let go of the past and letting God worry about your future. He knows every hair on your head. He knows the number of days you will live. If He knows that much about you, why can't we trust Him to lead us and help us make decisions? Let go, and let God.


No comments:

Post a Comment