Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Dawn Comes Early by Margaret Brownley

Howdy, howdy! It's been a long week, and it's only Wednesday! It's final exam week for me, so reading for pleasure is hard right now. I have managed to finish this great book, though. Dawn Comes Early is the first book in the Brides of Last Chance Ranch series by Margaret Brownley. I haven't read her books in a while, but I loved the Rocky Creek Romance series, so I knew I would love these as well!

OverviewLooking for a woman of good character and pleasant disposition willing to learn the ranching business in Arizona territory. Must be SINGLE and prepared to remain so now and forever more. Will be given ownership of ranch. —Eleanor Walker
Disgraced dime novelist Kate Tenney fled the city that banned her latest book for a fresh start at a cattle ranch in the Arizona Territory. She hopes ranching turns out to be as romantic as she portrayed it in her novels.
But what awaits her is a much harder life. There is no room for mistakes on a working cattle ranch in 1895, and Kate is ill-prepared for her new life. She quickly learns that dawn comes early . . . every day. But she is tenacious.
Having been abandoned by a string of men, Kate has no intention of ever marrying. But she didn’t expect to meet Luke Adams either. Luke awakens feelings inside Kate she doesn’t recognize, and his steady presence is a constant distraction. She has only written about love in the past, never known it herself. But her feelings for Luke stand in the way of all she has to gain if she is chosen as the heir.
Perhaps God brought Kate to the barrenness of the desert to give new life to her jaded heart.
My Review: This was such a great book. The characters were fantastic. Miss Walker is something else. I really enjoyed her character and figuring out why she is the way she is. Kate Tenney strikes me as smart, independent, and stubborn. She thinks she has life figured out. Luke Adams is the strong, silent type. Their romance was sweet. The conversations they would have together made me laugh most times, and other times I would want to shake them both for their blindness! 
The story progresses naturally. I like that the timeline is more than a week or a few days. Some authors try to cram a whole love story into a week, which isn't realistic at all. Instead, Kate and Luke converse over months and have plenty of time for feelings to develop  Kate comes to Last Chance Ranch because she feels she has no where else to go. The name of the ranch is very fitting, in her case. She is at her lowest point when she comes to Cactus Patch and can't afford to lose. Luke is content to be the town smithy and live his simple life. So he is unprepared for the feelings Kate awakens in him. Can they both figure out their own hearts before it's too late?!
If there is one thing wrong with this book, it is this: I'm not sure whether or not Kate becomes a Christian. I don't want to give away too much of the plot, but the progression for Kate doesn't seem realistic to me. I don't feel she was ministered to enough throughout the story to really come to an understanding with the Lord. Other than that, I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone who wants a good ol' fashion cowboy read!
More fun, with links!
Good night! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment