Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A Most Unsuitable Match by Stephanie Grace Whitson

Oh, I have been so slack! I had so  much going on that I am way behind on my reading! I'm desperately trying to catch up, though!!

A Most Unsuitable Match - Stephanie Grace WhitsonOverview: An unlikely attraction occurs between two passengers on a steamboat journey up the Missouri River to Montana...

She is a self-centered young woman from a privileged family who fears the outdoors and avoids anything rustic. He is a preacher living under a sense of duty and obligation to love the unlovable people in the world. She isn't letting anything deter her from solving a family mystery that surfaced after her mother's death. He is on a mission to reach the rejects of society in the remote wilderness regions of Montana. Miss Fannie Rousseau and Reverend Samuel Beck are opposites in every way... except in how they both keep wondering if their paths will ever cross again.

My Review: The characters in this book were ok. Fannie Rousseau seems shallow and spoiled at the beginning of the book. As the story progresses, though, you see that she is just unexperienced and sheltered. Samuel Beck is your typical male lead. He is strong and handsome, sweet and protective. The side characters are almost more interesting than the main characters. Edie LeClerc Bonaparte has an interesting story. Lamar is a man who is strong in his faith and loyal to those he cares about. Edmund and Patrick are sweet characters, as well.

The story felt very disjointed to me. There were things that happened that I didn't understand the need for.  The story just didn't flow very nicely for me. The romance felt forced. I understood that Fannie and Sam were supposed to be together, but I didn't feel the attraction or *sparks* if you will. I don't know, there was just something about this story that didn't quite hold my attention.

The message is the reason I gave this story 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads. "Let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith." Hebrews 12:1-2
That is the reason I kept reading! This message of patience and looking to God for everything in our lives is so important! It's so easy to be patient and pray when everything is good and going right, but the trying and testing of our faith (which these characters endure/ed a lot of) is when it's most important to "keep your eye on the prize."

Overall, I would recommend this book because of the wonderful message of patience and redemption.

More fun! with links:

No comments:

Post a Comment