Friday, December 28, 2012

The Ride of Her Life (Lake Manawa Summer Series #3)

Lorna Seilstad does it again. With the third, and final, installment of the Lake Manawa series, we discover that Lily Hart has become a widow and is raising her 6 year old son by herself.  Her station in life has changed dramatically yet again. I can relate to this book in a personal way, being a widow myself. I am not, however, a mother so we do face some different challenges.

This book gripped my heart from the beginning, watching Lily struggle to maintain her control of her life, because she feels like God has abandoned her. She went from a servant, to the wife of a respected lawyer, to a widow who's inlaws see her as an unfit mother to her son Levi.

Enter Nick Perrin. He, of course, is immediately intrigued by the beautiful Lilly because of her stubbornness and fierce loyalty to her son. He works on rollar coasters, and his life has been like a rollar coaster as well.  He is a bit cocky, and of course he has his flaws as well.

The epigraph for this book is 1 Corinthians 2:5, "That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God." Both characters have to learn that man does not know everything there is to know, and that your faith should not be put in men or ourselves, it should be put in God, the almighty. There were a couple of quotes that stood out to me and I will share them here:

"We're so busy managing our lives for ourselves, we forget that it is God who is in control. His plans for you may include some storms, but He will be with you through them. Have faith. Trust the Lord to still the storms either in the world or in your heart."

"Faith entrusts oneself and one's children to God in the midst of danger."

These quotes perfectly describe every feeling, thought, and trial Lilly had to face in this book (and many of which we've all faced). I this this was my favorite book out of the whole series because it reminded me of God's power and that He is in control of my life, even when the storms come and times get so hard I can't see the way out. He's never left me and He never will. It's a great reminder of that promise.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-ride-of-her-life-lorna-seilstad/1106881343?ean=9780800734473

No comments:

Post a Comment